Rev. Christopher Viscardi, S.J.
- Austin Texas native Christopher Viscardi, S.J. entered the Jesuits in 1967. He was ordained a priest in 1976 and joined Spring Hill’s Theology Faculty in 1979. Fr. Viscardi completed his doctorate in theology at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome, in the area of spirituality. His dissertation was a study of the conversion theology of Jonathan Edwards, the New England Puritan and spiritual leader, generally considered America’s greatest theologian. He has been at Spring Hill since 1979 and currently serves as chair of the theology department. Over the past few years he has been working on a history of the Jesuit, Catholic mission and identity of Spring Hill College, from 1830 to the present, based on his sabbatical research in the Jesuit archives in Rome, Paris, New Orleans and Spring Hill College. It will be a case study in the religious history of the American South.
- PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES Chair of Theology Department and of Philosophy & Theology Division, Spring Hill College: since 1986 Member of Board of Trustees, Spring Hill College: 1982-95; 1999-Member of Board of Trustees, Loyola University, New Orleans: 1986-92Christus Theological Institute (Mobile area ecumenical forum): founder and chair, since 1988Professional Societies: College Theology Society (1987), American Society of Church History (1989)Hispanic Ministry, Archdiocese of Mobile: since 1983
- PUBLICATIONSArticles in “Encyclopaedic Dictionary of Jesuit History” (Jesuit Historical Institute, Rome)”Jonathan Edwards: An American Theology of Religious Experience,” Sesquicentennial Lectures: Spring Hill College, ed. by Charles J. Boyle (private publication, Spring Hill College, Mobile, 1982)”Signs of Authenticity: A Study in the Spirituality of Jonathan Edwards” (private publication, Dissertation Excerpts, Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome, 1980)Since 1994 book reviews in Theological Studies and Cithara.
- LECTURES The Spirit of Catholic Education: School Board Retreat Day, Our Mother of Mercy parochial school, Mobile, April 1999 American Catholicism: two lectures in adult theology series, Holy Spirit Parish, Atlanta, January 1999 Discernment of Spirits: St. Matthew Episcopal Church, Mobile, April 1999 The Mystical Theology of John of the Cross: lecture in adult theology series, St. Ignatius Parish, Mobile, March 1998 Mission and Spirituality of Jesuit Education: Faculty Retreat Day, Belen Jesuit High School, Miami, August 1996Contrasting Patterns of Cultural Encounter — Anglo and Hispanic Colonialism: Fifth Centenary Lecture Series, Universidad Rafael Landivar, Guatemala City, May 1992 Cultural Assimilation vs. Integration: major address to Alabama Nursing Association’s first state-wide workshop (on Cultural/Religious Beliefs System Influence on Health Care Delivery), Mobile, March 1984
- WORK IN PROGRESS Program Development for new specialized certificates in Spiritual Direction, Spirituality, Pastoral LiturgyDevelopment of a model for annual summer one-week youth conference for Catholic high school sophomores-seniors, on the Catholic vision
- Currently writing a history of Spring Hill College.